- 4-5 hours per week for participating, planning events, and community oversight
- Remote / online
The Freedom of Form Foundation is a nonprofit working to support and advocate for scientific research that will enable freedom of one’s physical form – biotech for self-expression.
We are passionate about our community on Discord. Community members often talk about technical or social aspects of freedom of form, and we also often talk about things that are totally irrelevant and off-topic. We have group discussions, and both planned and spontaneous gaming sessions. More than just being fun, we see our community as being a critical place for creating and sharing ideas, and our community members have been crucial to helping develop many of our ongoing research projects and outreach efforts.
We are big believers in getting to know each individual in the community. We love helping stimulate fun and genuine interactions so that everyone can get to know each other. To this end, we are looking for coordinators to arrange both on and off-topic activities such as games, watch parties, structured group discussions, and more.
The community team needs your help to make our server even better. We are looking for people who are passionate about getting to know others and who are eager to help our community grow to the absolute best it can be. While we don’t expect you to understand technical details that are discussed by scientists or engineers, we would hope that you are curious and eager to be a part of that environment.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Being an energetic and professional ambassador for our community!
- Planning and participating in events.
- Keeping the community a focused, mature place for personal and community advancement, especially through soft guidance and leading-by-example, and also including moderation duties.
- Rapidly responding to social and interpersonal situations in a professional fashion.
- Conducting brief interviews of prospective server members.
- Acting on the Discord chat app with the potential for work on other platforms in the future.
You should be able to:
- Communicate on Discord and other media platforms in at least written form.
- Utilize moderator tools to respond when needed.
- Be comfortable moderating Discord servers or other online forums.
- With guidance and feedback from other moderators and community members, help plan and run events.
- Be willing to talk with the team in Discord and/or other tools to have meetings and regular discussions.
All FFF volunteers and employees are expected to:
- Demonstrate unerring commitment to teamwork and professionalism.
- Always keep learning, and likewise be willing to help others learn and improve.
- Demonstrate tolerance to each other, to stakeholders, and to the broader community.
- Maintain a collaborative attitude towards resolving conflict and disagreement.
- Learn about regulations we must abide by, including, our Bylaws, Conflict of Interest Policy, Community Rules, Code of Conduct, regulations pertaining to 501(c)(3) organizations, and all laws. We can help get you up to speed on these, though!
If you have any questions or want to discuss more before applying, please send an email at [email protected]. We won’t bite (too hard)!
In particular, if you are interested in this or other volunteering opportunities, and you’re not sure whether or not it would be a fit, please reach out and we’d be happy to explore possibilities with you.
Sounds good? Please apply!
Please send an email to [email protected] and attach your Resume or CV. Be sure to include the position title in the subject line in your email.
And don’t worry, you can skip the formal, corporate-voice cover letter! Just a few sentences about why you’re interested in our organization, and in this position, should be sufficient. Please note that our follow-up process is fairly low-key. We’re much more interested in two-way discussions and exploration, not formal interviews.