Volunteer Position – Research Assistant in 3D Modeling
- 2-3 hours per week for research duties
- 1 hour per week for communication, correspondence, or meetings
- Remote / online
The Freedom of Form Foundation is a nonprofit working to support and advocate for scientific research that will enable freedom of one’s physical form – biotech for self-expression.
We have an exciting in-house research project in progress, in addition to the external research and outreach activities that you already expect of our organization.
This project is attacking one specific challenge – starting to quantitatively describe an end-goal for transformation. Specifically, we are developing an object-oriented 3D environment to describe a body’s anatomy, with a reasonable physiological basis, in a flexible way. We ultimately envision a user-friendly interface, that enables immediate feedback on various changes to a character who is anatomically correct inside and out – down to the level of muscles, bones, and viscera.
This 3D anatomy project is active and well underway. The team includes two experienced developers, who are supported by scientific advisors, IT professionals, and capable management.
We are looking for help by a person who will become the technical expert in turning mathematical functions, such as parameterized 3D surfaces, into specific vertex and polygon placements. Our developers have been implementing key methods and data structures, and don’t have the bandwidth to analyze and implement the more complex mathematical operations you might imagine are necessary for a fully parameterized 3D anatomy model.
We need your help.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Surveying state-of-the-art literature, code, and concepts in other 3D programs with parametric functionality.
- Summarizing and advising on specific functions and models for implementation.
- Directly implementing classes and methods.
- Regularly coordinating with the project team.
You should be able to:
- Perform basic programming tasks and understand programming code. General experience is required, but no experience in Unity or C# is required.
- Communicate on Discord in both written and oral form.
- Manage your own schedule and prioritize tasks (though we do provide productivity tools to help!)
- Be comfortable trying out new tools, and even selecting new tools we can use
- Be willing to learn some scientific and medical terminology
- This is a formal position, and you should be able to understand and sign legal documents (e.g. Conflict of Interest Policy and Statement).
All FFF volunteers and employees are expected to:
- Have a steady hand, especially in stressful situations.
- Demonstrate unerring commitment to teamwork and professionalism.
- Observe a learner’s attitude, and likewise be willing to help others learn and improve.
- Demonstrate tolerance to each other, to stakeholders, and to the broader community.
- Learn about regulations we must abide by, including, our Bylaws, Conflict of Interest Policy, Community Rules, Code of Conduct, regulations pertaining to 501(c)(3) organizations, and all laws.
If you have any questions or want to discuss more before applying, please send an email at [email protected]. We won’t bite (too hard)!
Sounds good? Please apply!
Please send an email to [email protected] and attach your Resume or CV. Be sure to use a descriptive Subject title in your email, and reference this position.
And don’t worry, you can skip the cover letter! Just a couple sentences about why you’re interested in our organization, and in this position, should be sufficient.